Salad Health Benefits: Must have Salads
Image Source - https://pixabay.com/en/salad-food-dish-plate-meal-2150548/
When hunger strikes, there’s nothing better than a wholesome bowl of salad. Why Salads? Well, salads are filling, nutritious and extremely tasty. This space brings to life health benefits associated with salads and a list of salads you should have in a lifetime.
Salads are typically made with small pieces of food. Salads are prepared in different ways, some in a traditional manner and many in an improvised culmination of healthy ingredients. A variety of green salads are a ready-to-eat dish that is an absolute favorite with health conscious individuals. Research and surveys conducted globally reveal women consume a lot more salads than men. Typically salads are served at room temperature or chilled. However, few salads are also served warm, the German potato salad being a global favorite.
Salads are popular globally because they are simple to make and are a healthy alternative to high calorie foods.
You can use meat, vegetable, or fruit to prepare salads. You can add various ingredients to make different types of salads. A combination and mix of various salad dressings can be used to bring a new flavor to life. Salads can be had along with a meal, before a meal, after a meal, or anytime just as a snack, either way they taste delicious.
Garden salads which are made with a base of leafy greens such as spinach, lettuce, kale or arugula are a popular make-at-home salad. While the debate about the point of time a salad should be served during a meal continues, the truth is you can have salads at any point during a meal. At fine dining restaurants salads are categorized as…
Appetizer Salads- These are typically small portion salads to stimulate the next course of meal.
Side Salads- These salads are typically served as an accompaniment or side dish to the main course
Main Course Salads- These salads are made with protein food such as chicken breast, turkey, salmon, legumes, slices of beef or cheese.
Dessert Salads- These salads are sweet and are made often with fruits, gelatin, whipped cream, sweeteners, or ice cream.
10 Amazing Health Benefits of Salads
Salads make a healthy snack any time of day. Vegetable salads are associated with a range of health benefits. Vegetables, leafy greens in particular are an excellent source of fiber. These vegetables are preferred snack or meal among individuals who love eating healthy. Furthermore, consumption of green salads is a natural way to keep the digestive tract healthy. Seeds, beans or nuts are added in many salads since they are a powerhouse of soluble fiber that plays a pivotal role in lowering cholesterol and maintaining good sugar levels.
- A bowl of salad makes a nutrient rich meal which is why different types of salads are recommended by dieticians and nutritionists in weight loss and weight gain plans for individuals.
- Leafy green salads are a great source of B vitamins, calcium, iron and potassium.
- Salads that include sweet peppers, tomatoes and leafy greens are known for their antioxidant activity. A host of powerful antioxidants (alpha- and beta carotene, vitamins C, vitamins E, lycopene and folic acid) present in green salads help protect from harmful free radicals
- Salad ingredients, vegetables and fruits in particular are a good source of vitamin A and vitamin C that are excellent for healthy glowing skin.
- Garden salads are an excellent source of fiber. Eating leafy green salads such lettuce, spinach, broccoli, and kale prevents constipation.
- Green salads made with lean meats such as chicken and turkey is a great source of protein. Vegetarians should add beans and nuts along with low fat cheese in their salads to get their requirement of protein.
- Individuals that consume salads made with fruits and vegetables lower the risk of diseases, cancer in particular. Research reveals regular consumption of fruits and vegetables lowers the risk of cancers developing in the neck and head. Salad ingredients such as string beans, peppers, peas, beans, apples, carrots, tomatoes, pears, nectarines peaches, strawberries and plums are found to have protective properties that prevent breakouts of harmful diseases.
- The types of oils and sauces used in salads contribute in a big way towards health. Salad dressings have loads of nutritional benefits. Oils of canola, olive, soyabean, walnut or flaxseed are a good source of omega 3 fatty acids. The human body needs dietary fat to ensure vitamins A, E and K are properly absorbed. 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil contains approximately 14 grams of fat; however, it has very little saturated fat. Vegetable oils provide healthy unsaturated fats that play key role in lowering cholesterol.
- Research reveals salads made with a combination of protein foods, dairy products and vegetables builds bone density and minimizes the risk of osteoporosis.
- Green salads and garden salads aid in weight loss. These salads are low calorie meals that enhance satiety, which means you feel full eating a portion and thereby reduce the calories eaten during meals. Eating a small portion of lean meats such as chicken, fish or turkey with salad is a great way to ensure you consume fewer calories and lose weight in the process.
Things you should know about healthy salad preparations
- 1 ounce serving of seeds or nuts in salads adds 5 grams of protein.
- 3 ounce serving of lean meat such as turkey or chicken in salads gives approximately 20 grams of protein.
- 1 cup of spinach gives 93 percent of the daily intake of vitamin A, and 1 cup of green lettuce gives 88 percent of the same.
- Half a cup of sweet red peppers provides 159 percent of vitamin C and 77 percent of the daily recommended intake of vitamin A.
- Half of a medium sized carrot provides more than 100 percent of daily requirement of vitamin K.
Popular salad dressings
Typically the sauce/oil that is used to give flavor or taste to a salad is a salad dressing. You could improvise with the ones mentioned below and come up with something awe-inspiring. Eat salads, and share the good news about salads.
- Wafu Dressing
- Caesar Dressing
- Honey Dijon
- Russian Dressing
- Thousand Island Dressing
- Ranch Dressing
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Rice Vinegar
- French Dressing
- Louis Dressing
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- Italian Dressing
Must have salads in a lifetime
- Pasta salad
- Ambrosia (Salad of fruit mix)
- Bean Salad
- Chef Salad
- Pasta Salad
- Arab Salads
- Celery Victor
- Cobb salad
- Bok I’hong (Green Papaya Salad)
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Garden Salad
- Caesar Salad
- Dressed Herring
- Chicken Salad
- Glorified Rice (Dessert salad)
- Chilean salad
- Egg Salad
- Cheese Slaw
- Salad Shirazi
- Israeli Salad
- Coban Salatasi (Shepherd’s Salad)
- Fruit Salad
- Oliver Salad (Russian Salad)
- Jello Salad
- Ham Salad
- Greek Salad
- Golbaengi Muchim
- Watergate salad
- Nicoise Salad
- Tuna salad
- Green papaya Salad
- Macedonia Salad
- Taco Salad
- Macaroni Salad
- Som Tam (Green Papaya salad)
- Shopska Salad
- Insalata Caprese
- Crab Louie
- Pao Cai
- Michigan Salad
- Snickers Salad
- Potato Salad
- Somen Salad
- Fish Salad
Health Benefits and Nutritional Value of Cabbage
Olive Oil Benefits for Skin
Health Benefits of Water Apples or Rose Apples
Let us know how you like this article. Like it and Rate it below.
The eye make up of an Indian bride is very important indeed - just to beautify them - just to make them notified too.Anyways - all the details are here.
After writing my review of Ponds BB cream, this time I am going to review Garnier BB cream which is very popular nowadays. It was launched in Indian market in 2012 after which many companies launched their bb creams.
This article will give you the facts and myths of taking multivitamins and whether they are important or not..