Halitosis is also called chronic bad breath. It is different from normal bad breath. There could be many causes for halitosis and it is very easy to cure it. You just need to find the underlying cause before beginning to cure halitosis. Natural remedies such as those available at home are the best way to treat this. Below we have given some home remedies for halitosis that you can use to cure it.
Bad breath like the “morning breath” is temporary until you go brush your teeth and is absolutely a normal phenomena and is not considered as halitosis. It occurs because your mouth remained closed overnight and had no functions to perform. The salivary flow is also decreased during this time leading to dry mouth.
Whereas, Halitosis, also known as chronic bad breath, is something that mouthwash, mints or a good brushing cannot solve. It’s not a five minutes temporary bad breath experienced like after having garlic or fish. Halitosis is a medical term for chronic bad odor and is more of an symptom than a disease.
The most common symptoms include postnasal drip, a bitter metallic taste, a white coating on the tongue, and thick saliva.
1. Waking up with bad breath: A normal phenomena caused due to closed mouth for a long time.
However, if the smell is strong and persists for long, you must have a visit to your dentist.
2. Eating garlic, onion or fish: Garlic and onions have the chemical “Sulphur” responsible for the bad odor.
3. Alcohol: It reduces the production of saliva causing halitosis.
4. Crash diets/low carb diets: “Ketones” (also found in nail polish) are substances released into our breath when the body is burning fat leaving our breath with smell.
5. Dental treatment: Dental treatments like having braces and not able to clean them properly often leads to accumulation of food particles and their decay causes bad smell.
6. Dental issues: Having dental cavities and gum infection leads to halitosis.
7. Dry Mouth: Being on medication for the long term can lead to dry mouth or xerostomia, which in turn leads to halitosis.
8. Mouth, nose, throat infections: Halitosis is just the side effect of these.
9. Smoking and tobacco: The chemicals present in them are responsible for the smell.
10. Other chronic conditions: Such as chronic reflux of stomach acids (Gastro esophageal reflux disease/GERD) causes halitosis. Liver failure causes “fishy” odor of the breath. Severe diabetes causing “sweaty or fruity” odor of breath. Increase of urea in urine causes “ammonia like or urinary” odor of breath.
Almond oil is an excellent home remedy for dark circles. If you have dark circles under eyes and want to reduce them, then you can think about using almond oil.
From curing acne to hydrating your skin, honey has multiple benefits for skin. You can apply pure honey on face or mix this with other ingredients to prepare a facial mask for making your skin soft and fair.
There are numerous benefits of ginger tea for health. In previous article we have learnt about the various recipes to make ginger tea for weight loss.